Monday, August 26, 2013

BWCAW - Day Two (August 26, 2013)

Awoke early after sleeping quite well.  We started the day with French toast using apple fritter bread dipped in farm fresh eggs (they will last a couple of days without refrigeration) and milk. Yummy!  We washed up the dishes, which is not an easy feat as we had to heat water and wash in a pot that really isn't too big.  We then discussed taking the 216 rod portage to Shell Lake (we were all dreading the portage with that heavy food pack.  Decided instead to just take a lunch of spinach wraps, tuna and fruit sticks over to Devil's Cascade.  We left the canoe at the entrance to the portage and just carried our light pack in.  Not sure how far we walked, but it wasn't too far.  DB and BH had their swim suits on and went into the water right below a falls.  I had forgotten to bring mine so I sat on shore until they talked me into joining them.  They said to just zip off the bottom of my pants and wear my sports bra (very similar to a swim top).  I had to walk back and get my life vest, even though it wasn't very deep we thought it best to wear them.  Had a great time in the water, we went behind the falls too.  Then we ate our lunches.  The other two went back in, but since I had nothing to change back into I sat on the rocks and dried off.  We walked down further and they got into the water in another spot, but it wasn't as nice so we went back up to the former spot.  After spending part of the morning and all afternoon there we headed back.  We canoed back to camp, getting our water while still on the lake to filter.  We were once again too full after a supper of gnocchi and cheese to make dessert.  Once it got dusk the mosquitoes came out in force.  So after cleaning up we headed for our tents.  That's when I realized that there was a rock under my back that I had not noticed the night before.  I did not sleep as well this night.

No comments: