Sunday, February 22, 2009

Thing #27 Twitter

I signed up for a Twitter account for the Library and have been twittering almost daily. I don't know if it is worth the time. How do you get patrons to follow you? How many actually have a Twitter account? Now I have three things to post events to; Blog, Facebook page and Twitter. I also have a personal twitter account. Not sure if it is really worth the extra time.

I like the short messages. No need to come up with almost a press release. Short and to the point! Don't have to read through lots just to get the main idea.

Twitter could be useful for libraries, if you had a large following, for letting people know about things happening at the library.

How do you get the word out? I mentioned it on our Library blog and Facebook page.

https://twitter.com/PrestonLibrary

1 comment:

J Wiles Parker said...

Ah, the joys of the internet. So much going on at once and so many sites to use.
Twitter is actually nice in terms of following other people, but it's true, who do you follow? If you link your twitter to your library blog and facebook, that's really all people need. It shouldn't be about getting followers on Twitter, but instead just letting your patrons (or whoever else you want informed) know what is going on.
I'm currently only using my twitter for personal reasons, but I'm considering starting one for the library and linking it to the website to keep people informed as to what's new and what's coming up.